We spend a lot of time and energy finding the right words (we do, right?), but how we say them matters at least as much.
In this episode, executive voice coach Cynthia Zhai joins from Singapore (thanks for being willing to have some wine on a Saturday morning) to talk about how to talk.
Cynthia recounts some of her own struggles with confidence in meetings, how she developed her voice to overcome those challenges, and how she helps others do the same thing.
- You can change your voice– it’s not just something you’re born with.
- To project confidence to others (and yourself)
- To breathe and speak from your core, not just your throat (building nicely on some of the breathing tips Ashley DePaulis discussed). Cynthia demonstrates “Kung Fu Breathing” techniques that you can practice yourself (see video below).
- To break out of the vicious cycle of non feeling confidence and then not sounding confident
- To handle speaking too aggressively
- To build habits so that even when you get nervous, your habits will keep you speaking the way you practiced
- To listen to others’ voices, and to detect nervousness and dishonesty
Check out this short clip on Kung Fu breathing:
Or catch the whole interview on video:
Cynthia has some Jacob’s Creek Australian red wine. Reuben is enjoying some Averaen Pinot Noir from Oregon.
Where to find Cynthia
Where to find Reuben
@Sales4Nerds, @Mimiran, Mimiran.com.You can also listen on Overcast, or Subscribe on Android, or Player.fm.
Note, speaking of stories, a good proposal is a story, not a brochure– get your “Fill in the Blank” Consulting Proposal Template.
Want a way to make sales and marketing fun, without being “salesy”? Try Mimiran, the CRM for elite solo consultants who love serving clients but who hate “selling”. (Including the more powerful than ever Free Edition.) Mimiran can help you implement a lot of Shaily’s ideas not only more efficiently, but more effectively, including telling your Origin Story, coming up with your Superhero Name so you’re unforgettable and more referrable, and much more.
Get alerted when there are new episodes (1x/month):