Rick is the VP of Sales and Marketing for National Association of Sales Professionals, so he’s like an uber meta-sales person, but that’s not how he started. He got a summer internship knocking on doors for a painting company. Learn about his journey, and hear Rick’s insights on sales psychology, including:
- Why you’re a sales professional if you’re a business owner.
- What he learned his first day doing door-to-door sales as an introvert, and how you can use it when dealing with your own inner psychology.
- How Rick became the #1 sales rep for a Cisco integrator, outselling many people who had been there long before him.
- How much time to give yourself to do research before a call.
- How information gets conveyed (55% body language, 38% tone, 7% words). This is why talking on the phone loses so much information.
- (Check out the show Lie to Me for more on how body language reveals a lot about us.)
- The importance of finding mentors, and why it’s not as hard as you think.
- Pre-framing (don’t just punt it to the prospect), re-framing (getting back on track), and de-framing (backing out gracefully if there isn’t a fit) are 3 great skills to learn.
- Learn to ask questions gently, but persistently.
- Sales is not about directing, it’s about aligning and redirecting. (Don’t attack someone, they will put up a wall.)
- The one thing Rick would like people to fix: don’t focus on yourself.
Rick brings some innovation to Sales for Nerds by having champagne.
I make a move to Burgundy with Chateau de Santenay Bourgogne Pinot Noir, which is definitely more earthy than the California Pinot I often drink, but still accessible and it doesn’t have the deep earth flavors some people don’t enjoy.
Where to find Rick:
Where you can find Reuben: @Sales4Nerds, @Mimiran, Mimiran.com (the easy CRM for people who are awesome at serving clients but would love some help getting more). You can also listen on Overcast, or Subscribe on Android, or Player.fm.
If you’ve ever struggled with a proposal, check out the “official” Sales for Nerds online course on Sales Proposals the Right Way (coupon link for listeners).
Get alerted when there are new episodes (1x/month):